Monday, June 9, 2008

Summer's Last Rose

I wrote this poem a couple of years ago as summer came to an end. Even if I did write it, I still like it. I thought during this current June heat wave would be a good place to post it.
Joe


During the cold chill of winter for warm summer days I do pray
Knowing that God will again give us summer and the beauty of its day

I remember summer from the youth of my life
When all days were golden and unknown to strife

The endless summer days with heat to make the earth like toast
When the sun made the old swimming hole - a place desired most

The nights are alive with nature’s symphony sound
While young lovers embrace under the glowing moon - silver and round

From the fluffy white clouds in which we see various forms
To the power of God seen in glorious evening thunderstorms

God gave us seasons so each a favorite could know
I thank Him especially for summer and the beauty it does show

In September the signs of summer’s end come to be shown
And time is short before another summer soon will be gone

A sadness envelops me as summer’s days come to a close
I see my own life slowly passing like the wilting of
Summer’s Last Rose

No comments: